Sponsor a Peer Educator
The Wintrode Student Success Center is a hub for student success at SDSU. Students express that Wintrode Center peer tutoring, peer mentoring, and Supplemental Instruction support their success, but there is high demand for these support services. We are raising $2,500 to hire more peer educators in an effort to improve student outcomes.
Who are we?
The Wintrode Student Success Center’s focus is on the student, beginning with their transition to campus as a new Jackrabbit and supporting them throughout their college experience as they prepare for their chosen profession. Our mission is to help students succeed by supporting their academic and personal development. We believe everyone's story begins when given the opportunity to succeed. To this end, students receive support from an authentic team of tutors, mentors, advisors, and staff committed to helping them achieve their dreams.
Opening its doors in fall of 2007, the Wintrode Student Success Center at South Dakota State University features the Wintrode Tutoring and SI Program, the First Year Advising Center, Early Alert, and the Academic Success and Recovery Program. In 10 years of operation, center usage has increased by nearly 300%.
The increase in usage presents challenges with meeting demand; some students wait several weeks to meet with a peer educator. Sponsor a Peer Educator will help us hire additional peer tutors, peer mentors, or SI Leaders to ensure that services are more readily available to SDSU students. Achieving our goal of $2,500 will open 250 additional hours of peer support. A $100 donation will sponsor 10 hours of peer educator support, and a $10 donation will sponsor one hour of support.
What students are saying about peer educators in the Wintrode Student Success Center:
- This tutor is so helpful for me! I was so lost in organic chemistry and [tutoring] helped me take it back to step one and really help me understand. My grade from the first test to the second went up 19% after I started going to tutoring!
- My first exam with no SI sessions and poor study habits was a 64%. My last exam with SI and better study habits was 96%. Seems to be working!
- The most beneficial aspect of this [program] was having a peer mentor. Speaking to someone that wanted to see me succeed was beneficial in motivating me to keep going.
The Sponsor a Peer Educator Campaign
Your Donation at Work: The Sponsor a Peer Educator Campaign has the potential for tremendous impact on student outcomes.
- More than 90% of students who participate in tutoring through the Wintrode Tutoring Program report feeling more confident about course material
- Students who participate in Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions earn, on average, one-half to one full letter grade higher than students who don’t participate in SI
- 75% of students who participate in the Academic Success and Recovery Program with peer mentoring continue their college education compared with 25% of students who don’t participate
We can enhance support for student success at SDSU, but we need you to make this happen!
Find us here
Want to learn more about us? Find more information on the Wintrode Student Success Center website: https://www.sdstate.edu/wintrode and hear from students, tutors, SI leaders, and peer mentors about their experiences with the Wintrode Center on our YouTube channel.
Follow us on Facebook for updates!
- Wintrode Tutoring Program: South Dakota State University - Wintrode Tutoring Program
- Academic Success and Recovery Program: AcademicSuccess & Recovery Program
- Supplemental Instruction: SI at South Dakota StateUniversity
- First-Year Advising Center: SouthDakota State University First-Year Advising Center